Saturday, February 04, 2006

Brioche Hat, work in progress


This is a pattern in “Weekend Knitting” by Melanie Falick. I had been thinking about making this for a while. I finally got the yarn a week ago. I bought Manos Del Uruguay for this hat. After several attempts to cast on and to establish the setup row, I found that it was a mistake to use this yarn to learn to knit this new stitch. I switched to some leftover Plymouth Encore Worsted and had success!

The cast-on is quite difficult to manage. It’s easy to do, but can look like a twisted mess when doing the setup row. The best thing to do is to keep all the cast-on stitches on the needle part of the circular needle until you are all done. Then slide them to the other end carefully to avoid twisting, then join. It also can look like a tangled mess when doing the setup row. Just be mindful and do it slowly.

This can knit up quickly! I will post the final result when it’s done!

No comments: