Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Why Knitting?

Many years ago my neighbors gave me a beautiful blanket woven on their giant machine. Ever since then I dreamed about picking up weaving as a hobby. I liked the idea of having something to do with my free time and make useable items at the same time. I also liked that the repetitive motion of weaving, making it possible to use it as a meditation practice. But it was difficult to get it started. First, you need to purchase a machine to weave. Nice equipment is not cheap. Second, it requires room for the equipment. Third, it's not very portable, even though they make portable looms. So, many years gone by without fulfilling the desire.

One day I had the TV on for background noise. I had on the Today Show. Jane Pauley Show came on after that. I wasn't paying that much attention until I heard the topic of the day was "Knitting". I stopped what I was doing when one segment focused on male knitters. Hmmm... this might be nice to have as a hobby. It's very portable, does not require much to start, makes useful items and can be a meditation tool! I was sold!

So, in September, 2005 I started my journey down the Knitting road. Tons of books, lots of yarn and knitting notions and a few classes. I think I love it!

No comments: